Monday, February 9, 2015

The Power of Planning for Allies, Opponents, and Indifference

How many time have you stepped into something new, whether it be a new position, a graduate program, or a kitchen that is not your own, and wished someone had your back? If you are like me, then this happens to you quite often, and if you not like me there is a potential for this to happen at some point throughout your lifetime. The need to have someone in your corner, is a perfect example of seeing the importance of having an ally when you step into the unknown. As I step further and further into the unknown with my social venture, it is becoming more and more apparent that allies, opponents, and indifference can make or break the future of my venture. It is often said that Rome wasn't built in a day, but we do not discuss the allies that gave the creation of Rome a vote of confidence. We also do not discuss the opponents and those who were indifferent to the building of the city.

Creating a venture is much like creating a city, there are many moving parts and factors to consider from all vantage points. Cities and ventures have one key common factor and that is the end user. The Social Entrepreneur's Playbook: Pressure Test, Plan, Launch and Scale Your Social Enterprise by Ian C MacMillian & Dr. James Thompson, provides an interest take on how to move one's venture from an idea into a reality.  This shift requires a strong understand of how to identify potential allies, primary opponents, and needed indifferents.

MacMillian and Dr. Thompson explain that potential allies,"are those who all benefit from and may be willing to commit support to your project; while  primary opponents, "are those who will be adversely or greatly be inconvenienced by your project's success and who also have the wherewithal to resist or delay its execution; and needed indifferents, "are people or parties who are indifferent to your project's success but whose support, effort, or resources may be necessary.

 While I know that people are always important in the moving along of a venture, I was not aware of how to categorize and develop a strategy for best utilizing potential allies to benefit a project, being prepared to deal with the concerns of opponents, or how to convince those who are indifferent but critical in providing permission or legitimacy.

Taking from MacMillian and Dr. Thompson I am now developing a sociopolitical strategy for my venture which provides me with a realistic understanding of my capabilities to influence an ally, opponent, or someone who is indifferent but critical to my venture's success. But most importantly, this strategy will help me reduces the amount of time, resources, and efforts wasted.

These two authors make it very clear that life is unfair, so it is important I find a way to be fruitful in my efforts. So that is what I have decided to do, I will let you know my discoveries as I further develop my sociopolitical strategy.






No comments:

Post a Comment