Monday, February 23, 2015

Keep the spark alive


"I took the path less travelled by,
And that has made all the difference" - Robert Frost

I might be considered an odd fit into this classroom filled with students from Public Policy. For these  students entered into grad school with the objective of making social impact.
My story however is quite different. The boredom and monotony of my professional life propelled me to apply to grad school.  After obtaining admission into my top choice CMU, I decided to take a back seat
and travel the world before I get sucked into the hardships of grad school. I decided to meet a friend in Pune, India who was working with Teach For India. The one week spent with her, was a life changing experience for me.   

I was exposed to a different side of the world where morals and ethics were held at a higher pedestal than money. I was happy. The experience pushed me beyond my safe zone and helped me discover my passion for social work. The experience also triggered some questions:
Would I be happy long-term without monetary benefits?
Or would earning truckloads of money amount to the ultimate happiness?
I still do not have answers to these questions. In my process of self-discovery I decided to go to grad school to gain an experience that would teach me a little bit about myself and help me choose a path into future.   The Information Systems Management program is highly competitive and  I soon succumbed to the pressure of obtaining a high paying job. The experience in Pune was overshadowed by the fancy dinners and hotels by potential employers.
Then came an email from Tim about the course 'Social Innovation Incubator', which was in line with my passion for social work. I was extremely excited to take up this course.
In the last 6 weeks, this course has given me a platform to formalize my venture plan and helped me transform it into a tangible service. The optimistic vibe and the energy in the classroom also enables me to think beyond limits and urges me to think of ways to formulate my ideas.
I hope I have the courage to deviate from the traditional practice of obtaining monetary benefits and work on obtaining gratifying experiences.
But what we need to ponder over is how to keep the spark alive and chase our dreams……

No comments:

Post a Comment