Monday, February 16, 2015

Tessa: Friends, foes, and folks in between. Blog tres

Sitting down to write this, the first thought that comes to mind is that this week was not my finest.... My elevator pitch was by far the worst presentation of my entire academic career. At first, I was really bummed and embarrassed about it. Then I got to thinking a little bit deeper and realized that this screw up (as I view it) underlines the theme of my social venture. I want to create a place where students, teachers, anyone can talk about race and challenging topics without tripping over their words because they’re so focused on being politically correct. I practiced so much, more than I would for any other speech, because I felt like I couldn’t mess anything up. When in reality, the venture I want to create, is a place where screw-ups are not just acceptable, but encouraged. In the words of Taylor Swift I decided to shake it off.

I was further reminded of my passion for my venture topic this weekend when I stumbled upon a book I read a few years back titled: White Like Me by Tim Wise. I designed an independent study on white privilege my junior year of college and it was part of my assigned readings. Going through the passages I highlighted I was reminded of how much my personal public school education experience informed my interest in this topic. I am now fairly confident I want to narrow the ventures focus to middle school aged students. This is the age/time period where racial identity really comes into play for adolescents. This was an important development for the week!

One of the readings for this week opened my eyes to a part of the venture that I am going to have difficulty with. School districts are notorious for their red tape and resistance to innovation. I will inevitably have to work with the district. The Pittsburgh Public School district office is a significant stakeholder of this venture. We learned that we need to identify:
1.     Potential allies
2.     Primary opponents
3.     Needed indifferents

If I were to wager a guess, the school district will most certainly be a primary opponent. It will be important for me to develop a great sociopolitical strategy. Finding a safe haven away from district personnel will not be a viable option. It is imperative that I develop a working knowledge of all the issues the school district is facing (financial issues mainly) so that I can appeal to them in a way that will serve their interests and mine.

Main question for this week: how do you work with a primary opponent without being perceived as a threat or liability?

No comments:

Post a Comment