Monday, February 16, 2015

Globalize and Localize

The article "Strategies that affect emerging markets" was of particular interest to me. As my social venture is set in India, this article gave me an insight on how some of the biggest companies can crumble in emerging economies.A number of the factors discussed in the article were irrelevant to social ventures, and therefore I tried to narrow down my research to focus on globalization with respect to social ventures. Listed below I have summarized my thoughts:
  1. Capital Funding: Developing countries do not have as many resources as developed countries and therefore a strategy needs to be in place to decide the target investors(Domestic or Foreign).
  2. Measuring Profitability with Impact: As no previous data is available, forecasting the impact of a social venture can be tough. Once the venture is in place, profitability and social impact should be quantified and measured. This is an expensive affair but will lead to inflow to subsequent funds.
  3. Technology versus human resources: A judicious decision needs to be made focus should be on automation or focus on manual labor. In most developing nations focus on manual labor can significantly reduce costs.
  4. Understanding your market: LOCALIZE: The diversity in India makes it difficult to generalize and standardize the venture. Therefore selecting the market can give an entrepreneur a significant edge. -> will have the ability to localize.
  5. Aligning with the culture: As my social venture is based in villages, it would be imperative to understand the social customs of the targeted villages. This would not only provide a better experience for customers but also help me align the venture. 
  6. Security: One of the biggest issues in India is security of women. As I set my venture in remote villages, there have to be measures that ensure safety of individuals who wish to experience the rural lifestyle in India.

I wonder if a social venture in a developed country like United States can be exported to a developing nation. The needs and the approach to the venture differ significantly. It would be interesting to explore the similarities between the ventures of these contrasting economies.

No comments:

Post a Comment