Monday, February 2, 2015

Step 1: Learn!

As I am embarking on bringing a social venture to life, naturally I find that I have a lot to learn. In the past three weeks, I have learned about the foundations of social venture development, the importance of playing to my strengths, and how to an idea and build on it.

My biggest learning moments came from the essay “The 18 Mistakes That Kill Startups” by Paul Graham, from Y Combinator. This essay highlights one of the biggest errors I am making by being a single founder. At first I thought why not be the sole founder and make my mark on the world, through my “amazing” product. Graham makes it clear that I impress no potential investor by being a sole founder, and in fact it may cause me to be negatively perceived. He also makes it clear that “you need colleagues to brainstorm with, to talk you out of stupid decisions, and to cheer you up when things go wrong.” Brainstorming, evaluating, and being positive are things I know have to be present in a company, but even in all my knowing I forgot it doesn’t happen with one person. It happens with a team. I am still on the search for another team member—wish me luck!

Somewhere along the road, my personality type changed. I wasn’t aware of it until after taking the Myers-Briggs Personality Test.  For a long time I though of myself as an ENTJ, and I was for a while, but to my surprise I am now an ENFJ. After reading the description statements for both ENTJ and ENFJ, and compared them to my behaviors and habits there was an evident shift. I attribute much of my personality type shifting to the vast amount of exposure, from living overseas to being in a Master’s program at a young age. I am now better able to focus in on my strengths because of this test and find ways to tap into these strengths to move my venture forward.  I am now putting my charisma and ability to see the big picture to good use.

In finding and building on ideas, Rory Sutherland said it best in his TedTalk: Life Lesson from an ad man (http://www.ted.com/talks/rory_sutherland_life_lessons_from_an_ad_man?language=en#t-977060). All value is subjective! Therefore, when attempting to create social impact, remember one size does not fit all, EVER! Sutherland also explains that for a product or service to have value to customers it must, in most cases, be location specific, contextual, and timely; along with democratic across all users, where all users are using the same technology with the same capabilities at the same price. The biggest take away from Sutherland’s talk is “make the familiar things new.” I am taking this perspective with me throughout this process, and it is a constant reminder to take a look at what already exists and re-imagine its potential and capabilities to make change.


As it turns out, I am learning the DON’Ts in starting a venture, my personality responses in a group setting, and the power of re-imagination. What else is there to learn? A whole lot more! The journey has just begun, with more stones to turn. Stick around for the exploration.

No comments:

Post a Comment