Monday, February 23, 2015

My strategies to address the drinking business culture in South Korea?

Did you know that South Korea drink heavier than Russia on average? Yes, heavier than Russia and Philippines (Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2551059/South-Koreans-drink-TWICE-Russians-five-times-Brits.html). This is a social issue, because it affects not only individual heath but also aggregate productivity and family environment.

From the HBR readings this week, there could be three main strategies that fit emerging markets (Khanna, Palepu, and Sinha): (1) adopt your business model; (2) change institutional context; (3) stay away from the market. And I will choose the strategy of "changing institutional context" as a result of my social enterprise. I cannot stay away from the issue because I see the social need of changing it. I would rather not adopt business model, because if I also want to be driven by heavy drinking business culture, what is the point? Right?

But how? From the article called "Market Segmentation, Target Market Selection, and Positioning" by Sarvary, I need to: (1) analyze market segment, (2) select my target market, (3) do my own positioning, and (4) differentiate my product or service by product, price, or place.

I could possibly have three types of customers: individuals, family, or business entities. From them, "family" will be my target market. There can be other family counseling services or father school training for male employees to be a better father and husband. So, I need to differentiate my business with heavier emphasis on drinking business culture.

In order to do that, I plan to use the graph below (Source: Competitor Analysis: Understand Your Opponents (Marketer's Toolkit: The 10 Strategies You Need to Succeed (Harvard Business School Press), 2006)). I will make a similar competitor positioning analysis for myself later with current opponents in the market. My possible x-axis or y-axis could be: whether it deals with the current drinking business culture; whether it is family-oriented counseling or individual counseling; price-line; location... That is going to be exciting!

What would be your competitor analysis if you are to use this competitor positioning model??

No comments:

Post a Comment