Saturday, April 1, 2017

Blog Post #1: Work Ethic—The Glue for a Strong Partnership

           “If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together.” - African Proverb             

In reading Paul Graham’s articles Startups in 13 SentencesThe 18 Mistakes That Kill Startups, and even How to Get Startup Ideas the importance of having a good cofounder is a recurring theme.

From a young age, I’ve dreaded group projects. Perhaps my loathing started with a fifth grade partner project on The Indian in the Cupboard where, after being wildly displeased with my partner’s quality of work, I did the entire project myself. A similar scenario repeated itself throughout high school and undergrad and my five-year non-profit career. There were times, of course, in school or at work when I could select my own partner(s), but I would not always make the right choice. Often times I would choose my friends. “Surely,” I thought, “we will work well together.” Alas, a great friend does not always make a great partner. As I gained experience, I realized that the key to choosing a great partner was finding someone with a similar work ethic.  

If, for example, your strengths and passions lie in the technology side of your business, then a partner with marketing and communication skills is important. However, even if Dan Wieden (creator of perhaps the best marketing campaign of the 20th century, “Just Do It”) comes on board, if you have different work ethics, the partnership is doomed to fail. No matter how smart and accomplished someone is, it doesn’t mean they’re a match for you. For me, if a partner is lacking dependability, dedication, or determination, then we won't work well together. Entrepreneur's 7 Elements of a Strong Work Ethic elaborates on these work ethic keys and more. Reviewing the elements and using them to evaluate potential social venture partners is a must in my book.  
  
Just a few months ago, I was partnered with someone whose personality I did not click with--not someone I would typically gravitate to or form a friendship with. However, we worked swimmingly together! Why? We had the same work ethic. We would Google Chat about our project into the wee hours of the morning, obsess over details, and over prepare. It was amazing. I felt comfortable delegating and confident that when we split up work our completed pieces would be of similar quality. We were a great match on paper because she was a master with Microsoft Project and survey design while I had extensive oral and written communication experience. However, Project and survey design (both of which I'm now very comfortable with) can be learned, work ethic is an inherent trait.

There are times I want to slip back into my lone wolf ways and do everything myself. As a lone wolf you get to, “do it your way,” says entrepreneur Lewis Howes in his podcast, but “you’re not going to be able to scale...grow…build a legacy.”

What qualities do you look for when finding a partner? Are you more of a lone wolf or a team player? Have you ever been part of a partnership whose success or failure surprised you?

No comments:

Post a Comment