Sunday, April 16, 2017

Blog #3: Finding Competition in Unexpected Places

Competition. We know it makes us better, but that doesn’t make us hate it any less. This past week in class we learned how to make a petal diagram to analyze our competition and show it to VC’s. When I started making mine, it led me down a rabbit hole of angry internet searches, frustrated to find that my niche market had a direct competitor founded in 2014.

I’m in the idea stage with my social venture Redemption House Designs (RHD). RHD hires the formerly incarcerated to work on all aspects of this unique and high quality t-shirt company from designing to marketing. So it was much to my chagrin when I discovered a San Francisco company doing something similar. People and Us Weekly gave them a shout out; Gwyneth Paltrow mentioned them on Goop. I even discovered that two Pittsburgh boutiques in Shadyside sell their goods. Yet, as we learned in class, you don’t have to be first, you just have to be best.

While it gives me satisfaction to pick apart all of the things I think my competitor is doing wrong, from price point to design, they are doing a lot of things right too. So how do we move forward with our venture when we discover someone has seemingly beat us to the market? Annabel Acton gives great advice in her The Muse article, “That’s My Idea!”.[1]

Acton writes about how she dealt with discovering a direct competitor for her company, Never Liked It Anyway. “I saw it as a mandate to define my point of difference,” she writes. It’s true. The discovery of my San Fran competitor forced me to go back into my concept document and get specific, particularly about my target market. I did this by writing a few personas of both people that would buy my products and people that would benefit from working at RHD. It helped me to see that my customer and my competitor’s customer were two different people who wouldn’t buy the same shirts or shop in the same stores.

Another great point made in the article is that direct competition is not the only competition. Acton brings up Listerine as an example. The company did not just see other bathroom cabinet items as competition. Listerine also looked at breath mints and candy as competition, forcing innovation, and causing the creation of Listerine PocketPaks. I started thinking about my product (shirts designed by the formerly incarcerated) in different contexts. I am currently positioning myself in the clothing space but could also be in the lifestyle brand or art space. Even if the secondary markets are a stretch, fleshing out how your venture could play a part there will force you to think outside of the box and get some new ideas.

This also inspired me to think about competition in a different way. In the social sector, we’re competing for much of the same funding, no matter how different our social ventures may seem. A dog rescue organization, a theater program for underserved youth, and a business employing the formerly incarcerated (like mine) could all be fighting for the same customers and funders. While at first glance these groups may not seem to have much in common, they are all doing social good, the money for which shares the same space in consumer and investor wallets. Purchasing from or providing funding for any of these organizations may satisfy the same need for a consumer, foundation manager, or investor—doing good. This is why it’s important to think outside of the box when it comes to your venture’s competition. Why should someone invest in your company instead of, for example, the dog rescue or children’s theater? What makes your venture that much better for society? Who are your indirect competitors?




[1] Acton, Annabel. "That's My Idea! How to Deal With Competition as an Entrepreneur." TheMuse. 05 May 2013. Web. 14 Apr. 2017. <https://www.themuse.com/advice/thats-my-idea-how-to-deal-with-competition-as-an-entrepreneur>.

No comments:

Post a Comment