Saturday, April 8, 2017

Blog 2: Re-prioritizing what my proposed venture will do based on user research

Over the past week, I have had the opportunity to refine my social venture idea. I had initially felt that the social venture would have three components:

  1. Training sessions and workshops for children, teachers, and parents
  2. A broad network of people (therapists, doctors, lawyers, police) that can be reached out to if help is needed 
  3. Modules for child safety audits
I had initially prioritized point 1 more heavily as I believed that this need was the most urgent (children and their support system need this kind of vital information, and fast). I had felt that point 2 would be an added bonus, since a network just consists of knowledge, and sometimes, knowledge can be gained on your own. I felt that point 3 was almost a need that I would be simultaneously creating and then fulfilling, and that I should take some time to build up my venture before going down this path

However, user research and customer discovery changed things, as they always do. 

Over the course of a two and a half hour long Skype call with a husband-wife couple in India, I learned many things. I gained their perspectives as people who had once been children in India, as parents who are concerned about their children, and also as the founders of one child-serving startup each. 

Some of my learnings:
  1. The culture of silence is changing in India. There are a number of NGOs who are trying to educate Indian children and their support systems as to the prevalence and warning signs of CSA. Thus, I will not be new in this space, but I can reasonably try to be more reliable and have a larger reach. I can do this by being more inclusive of parents and care takers, more forthcoming about how pretty much anybody could be an abuser, and by using the money I charge people to have a stable staff who would be able to deliver this service reliably (versus a volunteer staff)
  2. I was under the assumption that most child-serving organizations do not give much thought to the problem of CSA. However, my interviewees informed me that one of their worst fears was that an incident might occur, which would cause irreparable harm to the children they have become close to, and would also deliver a death blow to their businesses by ensuring a bad reputation amongst their customers.
  3. While these businesses are concerned, they do not know what to do. To my interviewees knowledge, nobody has yet established a set of protocols or steps that can be followed to reasonably ensure a child's safety. 
  4. Right now, if an incident of CSA occurs, a large part of the blame falls on the organization hiring the individual who committed this act. This is partially because most organizations do very little to avoid such situations, and this is because of point 3 above.
I have this realized that there is a business need for a set of protocols that a child-serving organization may follow in order to provide a safe environment. I plan to now provide these details of these protocols as well as help implementing them as services to child-serving organizations. This would include recommendations such as working out schedules such that there is more than one adult with a child, installation of cameras etc, as well as more involved services  like background checks, which could be outsourced by these organizations to my company.

This has caused me to rework my business plan. The services mentioned in the previous paragraph would be turned into modules that an organization would be charged for on a per module basis.

Do I now also need to prioritize what my venture will do first and what next or can I still do these things simultaneously?

No comments:

Post a Comment