Sunday, February 17, 2013

Who need another bike helmet?



There are multiple reasons for low adoption of helmets by cyclists in the population that I am targeting with my product.

1. Cost: As I mentioned in my elevator pitch the cyclist population that I am targeting buy bicycles for less than $20. They use these cycles for more than 10 years and very often they buy them second hand. Bicycle helmets cost $20. As bicycle helmets are not mandatory, cyclists are unwilling to pay the same price as their cycles for something they perceive as useless.

2. Inaccessible: Bike helmets are available in specialty bike stores that do not cater to the low income working populations. Online stores such as www.bumsonsaddle.com make bikes and related accessories available to a richer clientele.

Through this course I hope to design bike helmets that are low cost, easy accessible and set a trend that will drive this population of cyclists who don't wear helmets to adopt helmets.

Address the accessibility aspect of my venture I want helmets to be available in places that my target customers frequent. This includes local cycle shops show in below in the picture which has traditionally been the place that people go to get their cycles fixed. Simple issues like punctures, new tires etc are handled by these kind of shops across India.


I don't think I will be able to convince people who have never worn helmets to wear helmets by just making it cheap and easy accessible. The Indian audience needs more value out of every rupee it spends. What is the bike helmet offered more than just protection? What if it improved your bicycle commute by reducing the dust and pollution that you inhale? What if your bike helmet made it possible for you to get to work and school no matter what the weather  is like outside? These are ideas that I'm toying with now that I'm getting into designing the helmet. I have below the value that my product will add.

Trying to get people to adopt something new is a little difficult. I have to find a way to easy the process of change from not wearing a helmet to wearing one because the success of my product depends on it.

Image from: http://downtheroad.org/Alaska-Canada-USA/letters/b1_New_Delhi_1india.htm

2 comments:

  1. Has there been a public awareness campaign around helmets and safety? I know campaigns like this have worked in the States, but of course that's a different culture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only a few years ago they made wearing helmets for motorbike rider mandatory. A campaign is a good way of raising awareness. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete