Sunday, February 10, 2013

If kids can do it, I certainly can.


On Friday I stumbled on a short article in USA Today:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/personalfinance/2013/02/07/youth-entrepreneur-workshops/1846633/

The first line of the article: "Kids used to want to be baseball players or rock stars. Now they want to be the next Steve Jobs."

The highlight is the growing popularity of entrepreneurship classes in middle schools and high schools. There are even hands on experiences for kids to get to test out their ideas.  Which made me think, geez if kids can dream big and put plans into action, so can I.  

Every part of being an entrepreneur scares me, except the brainstorming part, that’s easy, and harmless. You choose the people you are going to bounce your ideas off of; you avoid the naysayers and never lose anything if there is no action.  My idea would surely frustrate several groups, which has already been said by Professor Zak...that means you are doing something right.

I thought the pitches from class last week were excellent.  Clear, strong, to the point.  The questions Professor Myers was asking were helpful in terms of being prepared for the questions that would be asked when doing your pitch.  They also certainly helped to poke a few holes in my ideas which gave me time to flush them out a little more.   Two minutes, great! Thirty seconds will be rough.

No comments:

Post a Comment