Sunday, February 24, 2013

The journey you set out for yourself is often not the one you end up taking

Our business venture started as an online platform where trained facilitators could talk with various employees, teachers, kids, etc. about any racial prejudices they might have and has transformed immensely since then. After meeting with Amber the other day, I learned that our business has become a consulting organization which has many service offerings across many different industries, which I can't be happier about. We now have services that include:
  • Online platform where people can speak with trained facilitators
  • Customized assessment of needs 
  • Customized, facilitated collaborative practice/activities 
  • Progress tracking 
  • Customized collaboration strategy
  • Emergency intervention
  • Conflict assessment, strategy, and intervention
I think its funny that my background is in consulting given that I interned in Deloitte Consulting over the summer in the Strategy & Operations practice and will be returning there upon graduation. Now that we have transformed our business venture, I really see some success that could occur as a result of this. I think the lesson learned here is that often times when you set about a journey, especially one in entrepreneurship, you have to be open to change. The venture you set out with can be vastly different then the venture you end up with. I think, in order to be a successful entrepreneur, you have to be open to have your idea mangled to the point where it may not resemble the original idea at all. Had Amber not been open to change, I don't think we'd be in nearly the shape that we are in now. I can completely understand that some people would not have been open to change. Some people feel truly impassioned about an idea, and hate any changes that can occur to it. Thankfully, Amber is not one of those people and we are much better for it.

Now that are planning on forming a full service consulting organization, I really feel that we can truly create social impact and have a financially feasible organization. 

No comments:

Post a Comment