Sunday, April 22, 2012

Money and the social entrepreneur - where Monopoly meets Innovation

Reflecting on Kelechi's blog post a few days ago re: possible current overuse/abuse/cynicism of the term "social entrepreneurship"  and our assigned weekly reading on Financial Planning for the enterprise, I remembered "Monopoly" the board game that helped me develop my concept of banks, capital, investment and business transactions as a kid. My view of entrepreneurship was shaped by playing hours of Monopoly. Later life experiences shaped my desire to get out of the Monopoly mindset and stop profiting from the suffering of my patients.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/63888/innovation

I came across this boardgame called Innovation. I have not played it. but the premise is interesting. I quote

"This new game by Carl Chudyk is a journey through innovations from the stone age through modern times. Each player builds a civilization based on various technologies, ideas, and cultural advancements, all represented by cards. Each of these cards has a unique power which will allow further advancement, point scoring, or even attacking other civilizations. Be careful though, as other civilizations may be able to benefit from your ideas as well!
To win, you must score achievements, which you can attain by amassing points or by meeting certain criteria with the innovations you have built. Plan your civilization well, and outmaneuver your opponents, and with some luck you will achieve victory!"

 Applying the same principles in a simple manner to carve out space for a social venture on the Monopoly Board, it would be fun to develop a "strategic" board game uniting the two concepts to create a new one where perhaps a team (instead of an individual) could win when there are more than 3 players.  What determines victory? Amassing profit? Benefiting a large number of  previously neglected members of society? Putting out a product that may help a few people in a profound way though it may not be profitable? Could and does society find a way to reward all of the above and would they be equally rewarded?   I wish I had a game to try this out in 30-60 minutes instead of agonizing over it for months! I'd christen  my game " Bang for the Buck"


No comments:

Post a Comment