Monday, April 30, 2012

As a business minor, I have been exposed to a decent amount of business plan assignments. Of course I am no MBA but I did take part in classes like Intro to Entrepreneurship, Principles of Marketing, Intro to Financial Accounting and more. Having said that, I have never actually had good time writing these plans until now.

I have never had the chance to write a business plan for a social venture and looking back I am greatly appreciative that the professor pushed me to pursue an industry that I have experience with and am enthralled by. Because I pursued an industry that I am so in love with I now found myself deeply researching the techniques used in launching such a capital intensive businesses such as boat manufacturing. Every day I have grown more and more interested in the business side of running a boat company and hope to own one myself some day.

Also, at the very beginning of this course, I had a very difficult time believing in social ventures. To be honest I can be pretty cynical some times and I entered the class room thinking things like "social ventures cant make it in this competitive marketplace" and "social ventures are not really making a very big difference on their dollar" but on both accounts I have learned I was wrong. This class has opened up so many avenues for me. It has opened my eyes to an entirely new sector of work in which my skills and talents can still be applied professionally.

I have learned a lot about business planning, social ventures, the impact your movement can actually have on an individuals life, and, of course, myself. Im glad I stayed in this class tho my fellow MPDs dropped it. I have learned a great deal about how much planning launching a business actually takes and I think it fits very well with my direction as a student here. Thanks so much for a great semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment