Monday, March 14, 2011

The Venture Character and Team

So, I did some mental wrestling myself to explore and define my venture's character:

Core values:
-Sustainable economic growth on all levels (individual, state, global)
-Environmental stewardship

Core purpose:
-Increase consumer awareness and proactive participation in energy conservation.
-To facilitate deployment of advanced energy technologies amongst consumers
-To bring technologies from labs to the real world

Core ideology:
-To transform energy consumers into independent and self-sustainable beings

BHAG:
-Introduce energy conservation as a major and popular global energy source

Vivid description:
Promoting energy conservation will enable balancing the negative effects of energy supply and demand dynamics. This will both boost sustainable economic growth and protect the environment from externalities.


About the team:
As of now we are two co-founders. Both my partner and I are well-rounded analysts possessing diverse skill sets in engineering, economics and policy. However, we need a strong software engineer who can build the web and Facebook app interfaces. We are currently interviewing some candidates. What I am having difficulty with the most is, should the developer be a stakeholder, an employee or a contractor? One article suggests to treat the teammates as equal shareholders but there is no consensus in the pertinent literature. I would appreciate feedback on this.

1 comment:

  1. Ines: A passing thought. I was attending the CMU annual electricity conference and the key note speaker at the end asked us to ponder over one question "What is tangible benefit to consumers"? For example: In case of mobile phones it is connectivity or with notebooks it is portability. In the case of energy efficiency, do consumers really care for energy efficiency? Do the consumers really care for environmental stewardship?
    I don't mean to be offensive, but these are some questions I asked myself at the end of the conference. These might help you too.
    Akhilesh

    ReplyDelete