Monday, April 28, 2014

End of the Course...

Back on Day One, we were asked what we wanted to get out of this class. “By the end of the course success for me will look like..." I remember shrugging and reciting something along the lines of, "I have no idea."

For me, this class has been helpful in providing an opportunity to take an idea and go through the process of developing a plan that will (hopefully) turn that idea into a reality. Many of the classes available at Heinz contain assignments that involve the creation of products, of programs. However, creating a plan for implementation, for realization, has not been emphasized. I'm glad that Social Innovation Incubator has provided some insight into what that next step might look like from the perspective of social ventures.

I've always found it hard to get into the details and really expand when writing academic papers, and as a project Restring has been no different. The process Professor Zak took us through has been incredibly helpful in breaking up the required details into more digestible chunks. Paring things down has also helped me notice the areas that I need to dedicate significantly more time to.

As I continue to acquire different tools for my toolkit and figure out how best to use them, I leave this class knowing that 1) I now know how to construct a business plan, whether for a social venture or another project, 2) It is really difficult to have both social impact and financial returns for some industries, 3) This class was completely worth it. You all are amazing people, and I'm looking forward to see where this takes you next.

No comments:

Post a Comment