Sunday, March 3, 2013

Turning new technology into social innovation

This week in class we watched a marketing video about the pebble - a watch that will have many smart phone capabilities like checking email, clicking next on your playlist etc. We also watched the video on Google Glass, which I had seen recently. Google Glass is a new concept of glasses that have many smart phone capabilities and more. This got me interested in the world of in technology and how this has helped social innovation. What I found is this article (http://www.forbes.com/sites/altruhelp/2013/01/23/whats-next-in-the-world-of-social-innovation/) which talks about new innovation in the social impact space. I was particularly interested in the paragraph which talked about how "Microsoft's Imagination Cup is helping young entrepreneurs turn their ideas into social good into business realities". Upon reading this I realized that many entrepreneurs in the technology are focused on making as much as money as possible - this means making the most advanced technology and selling it at the highest feasible price. However, I think there could be a way to leverage this new technology, take out the non essential components and create huge social impact by selling to the people in need. The google glass has so much new technological advances that I firmly believe there is a way to harness the essential components for a specific set of underprivileged people - maybe people in a different country - to really help them out. I think as I go on to the corporate world next year I will try to create a group which looks at these new technological advances and tries to reassemble the innovation in a package which can create real social impact.

No comments:

Post a Comment