Sunday, March 17, 2013

An Entrepreneur's Courage



Perhaps unknowingly, we learn quite a bit about courage when we engage in entrepreneurial activities.  Having the wherewithal to think outside of what currently exists is a courageous act itself, but couple it with the audacity to act on such a thought, and you know you have something special.

There is an accompanying discursive misunderstanding that goes with this outpouring of courageous activity.  So often, entrepreneurs are dressed by their peers in very active language.  “Leslie risked it all.”  “John took a chance.”  “Mohammed acted on his instincts.”  “Nicole out-competed the rest of the marketplace.”  These descriptions are likely accurate, but it would seem to be a rare find for entrepreneurs to be known for their passive moments.  “Percy waited to launch his product.”  “Jeremy passed on that opportunity.” “Gina declined to enter that market.” 

At this point in the semester, we largely understand that starting a company depends on just as many strategic “no” answers than “yes” answers, but that is not how the most sought-after entrepreneurs are remembered.  Michael Dell is a doer, a hard worker.  Steve Jobs was a visionary, a rule-breaker.  Donald Trump does whatever it is that he pleases.  How is it that we have popularly divorced cautious discretion from the fabled entrepreneurial spirit?  What does that mean for aspiring entrepreneurs who wish to learn how to be successful?

I can think of daily moments where I feel resistance to a calculated approach to building a business.  When a friend calls to check in:

Friend: Dude, what’s new with your company?  Any big news?
Me: No, nothing big of late.  I’ve been waiting for a few weeks to hear back from a potential pilot host.
Friend: Oh…should you wait that long?  I mean, you know what you’re doing…but that just seems like a while to wait on something like that.”

Or when a family member, with all of the right intentions (just incredibly poor delivery), asks me:

Family Member: When are you actually going to start making money?
Me: We will likely earn something from the pilot next academic year, but probably nothing until next October or November.
Family Member: That long?  Doesn’t that make you nervous?
Me: No, this is exactly how I expected this to proceed.
Family Member: Wow…I’d be really nervous.

Or my personal favorite – the salesman:

Salesman: How is your web presence?
Me: I own the domain, but we haven’t published any real content yet.
Salesman: So how do you expect people to know about you?  We can help with that!  Our team creates...
Me: I want to make sure I have the right content up…we just aren’t ready for that yet.
Salesman: But you have to be first to market.  This can be done in two weeks if you work with us.

It is as if any moment of perceived inactivity or passivity is the sign of weakness, a fatal flaw to those outside of your mind.  “Well, did you think of trying this instead?”  Yes, I have, and I decided to go a different route.  “You should talk to this guy.  He’d really be able to help.  And he’ll be cheap too!”  Thanks, but I don’t think spending money in that way is a good idea right now.

The real lesson is that the courage exhibited by entrepreneurs is displayed equally in both action and restraint.  I know I scare the heck out of my family (namely my soon-to-be father-in-law) when I say I have no definitive way to pay myself or receive benefits in the next year.  Scares me a little bit too on some days.  But I, and many other entrepreneurs like me, have a vision that dispels much of the doubt and darkness that an outsider cannot help but remain encumbered by. 

Therein lies the mark of courage: someone who can sit in a dark room and refuse a flashlight because they can feel that the sun is rising - knowing full well it was worth the wait.

How do you experience and handle doubt courageously as an entrepreneur?

Source: “
14 Ways To Be A Great Startup CEO (Baptiste, December 28, 2010):
<http://onstartups.com/tabid/3339/bid/34321/14-Ways-To-Be-A-Great-Startup-CEO.aspx>




No comments:

Post a Comment