Monday, March 25, 2013

Jumping Ships


Spring has sprung and so have I!

 
I took this class wanting to see if the entrepreneur’s in my family had passed not only their do-gooder spirit but their start-up skills. We are always answering questions about what we want to do, but I think just as important is the question, “what do you not want to do?”  I spent spring break reflecting on the possible directions I want to pursue after Heinz.  Although I have acquired new skills that lend to the possibility of leading in organization, starting one is still a bit too frightening.

 
There is still plenty of good I can do without taking on the kind of risk that comes from starting something from scratch.  I like the idea of being part of something from the grass roots point.  Putting big ideas into action and solving the issues that arise from various road blocks and logistical issues.

 
I had been interested in Amber’s idea from the beginning of the semester.  Working in public education I saw all too often the missing piece in educator trainings of how to address issues of race in schools.  By not addressing our own biases or how to deal with the “uncomfortableness” of talking about race, I saw several missed opportunities.  Missed opportunities of conversations between students, of underlying achievement gap issues and the one that truly hurt students was when assumptions of race prohibited conversations between parents and teachers. 

 
After seeing Amber and Mike’s presentation, I realized that I wanted to take the opportunity in this class to be part of something that could be real.  Something that would be controversial and even a difficult sell, but based on my own experiences a necessary venture to change the conversation.  Last week’s discussion about teams helped me to realize that I didn’t want to spend the rest of this semester going at something alone, but rather find a spot where I hope I can offer some value.  After doing our team profile, I think  we have a great mix of soft and hard skills to make for a successful team. 

 
Thanks Amber and Mike for welcoming me! Looking forward to the great conversations and implementing Amber’s vision!

No comments:

Post a Comment