Thursday, April 30, 2015

Penny for your thoughts blog nueve

Finances and fun! Especially when you have NO idea where they are going to come from. It’d be cool if money grew on trees. My mom nipped that lesson in the bud real quick when I was younger, though.

Who is going to fund Race Place? I have avoided thinking about this for some time. The Pittsburgh Public School’s aren’t exactly rolling in the dough… Pittsburgh has a strong foundation community, but how likely is it that they will want to risk funding Race Place? Having the students pay is not viable option. Will I be able to get enough money from individual donors? Government grants? There are plenty of options, which is why I am going to draw on all of them…

Sources on income will be philanthropic grants, student fees, individual donations, and (potential) government grants.


I have been thinking about supplemental earned income for future years if Race Place expands. Ideally, I would like to develop a teacher-training seminar, which would bring in revenue. That would not happen until we worked out the kinks with the student class, as that is the priority. There is room for creative expansion that sticks with the mission of creating a safe place to talk about race. Another idea I have been tossing around is similar to the Gay Lesbian and Straight Education Network’s Safe Space Kit http://glsen.org/safespace. Race Place could develop a similar kit for discussions about race/identity and sell it to schools, universities, community centers, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment