Monday, January 31, 2011

Problems with Pitching

I would have to agree with Brett about the problems related to pitching your idea. My problem, and I think it has probably always been this way for me, is that I don't want to distill my ideas down enough to make them easily to relate to someone who's only interested in a few moments of listening. This is complicated by the fact that, before now, I have never really had to limit, to distill what I have to say because I've been in an academic atmosphere where talking at length about your ideas (e.g. undergraduate thesis) is encouraged.

I also feel like, when I am forced to pitch an idea in a few words, I forget parts of what I wanted to say and really obscure my general idea. For presentations class last year I struggled with this: public speaking gets to me and in my first presentation I basically left out a section of my work that needed to be communicated.

To practice my elevator pitch, therefore, I have decided to focus on doing exactly what I did for the concept writeup. I basically have a four point operations plan which involves 1. acquisition
2. renovation 3. renting 4. funding. I think being able to put together a four word bulle point plan like that is essential because it serves as a decent takeaway for the person you are giving the pitch to. The goal in my elevator pitch will be to get that four point plan out of the way in about a minute, leaving another minute to explain the social worth of my venture.

No comments:

Post a Comment