Sunday, January 30, 2011

How to pitch a brilliant idea

The article titled 'How to Pitch a Brilliant Idea' by Kimberly D.Elsbach is an article which I found to be persuasive and incisive. I appreciate & now understand the importance of making a good first impression on your investors. I also read through the way the author categorizes pitchers into three broad categories, 'The Show-runners', 'The Artist' and 'The Neophyte'. This is something, as an engineer, I am very uncomfortable with.  Why?
Well Lets look at this from the other end. Lets say you have an investor who gets blown away by a great pitch. Do you really want such an person to invest in you? Remember, you would be answerable to him probably for the time you have your company in existence. A true investor (and this is my personal opinion) is one who would not form hasty opinions and would judge an idea/concept for what it is. Of course, and your ability as a leader. I am for one, very very weary of Show-runners, Showmen and the likes.Creating stunts is not something I would be too comfortable doing. This does not downplay the importance of a good presentation and the energy that you must exude in order for the investor to be interested in you.
I guess in my view, to have a great idea, to have the passion and the know-how about your product/service would definitely get the right people to invest in you and not people who are swayed to the tunes of a show-runner.

No comments:

Post a Comment