Sunday, March 23, 2014

How Ya'll Feelin?!?!

This weeks reading discusses the aspects of capacity building in non-profits. Reading the table of contents I got pretty excited to get to the end of the PDF. More precisely I was “FIRED UP!!!!”. The reason for my excitement was not that as I approached the end of the reading I would be closer to being done with my Sunday school work, but rather the fact that the end of the reading examined an organization near and dear to my heart; City Year, the largest AmeriCorps program in the nation.

I am an alumnus of City Year New York (CYNY). At CYNY I got to work with a diverse and amazing group of people. Every weekday we would start our day at 7am with the daily warm-up activity, and then we would head up from our converted locker room offices to the entrance of P.S. 111 where we enthusiastically greet incoming students, doling out high fives like it was our true calling. This was a routine that is done by every City Year team at countless school across the nation.

This routine is in large part a product of CY’s capacity building focused on culture. Our reading defines a non-profits cultural aspects as: The connective tissue that binds together the organization, including shared values and practices, behavior norms, and most important, the organization’s orientation towards performance.[i]

Truth be told when I first arrived at CYNY I despised the cultural aspects of the organization. I thought of them to be wastes of time’s detracting us from engaging in our core mission of assisting at-risk students in their studies. I didn’t want to wear the uniform, I didn’t want to learn the starfish story, and I really didn’t appreciate not being allowed to jay walk; it was NYC after all. All in all I initially found the cultural aspects of CY to be bordering on cultish.

It was only towards the end of my year of service that I truly began to open my eyes to the positive aspects of the culture. I began to see the benefits of having shared values and practices which allowed anyone from any of the other CY teams across the nation to step in at a moments notice when they visited CYNY and feel right at home and confident in what they were doing. I saw how having a high standard of behavior norms allowed kids from across the NYC to feel confident in approaching anyone with the CY red jacket on for help. And most importantly I saw how all of these cultural aspects bound the organization together.  

In fact just the other day I was able to again experience the positive of CY culture when I ran into a fellow CY alum at a bar. We had served in different city's but it mattered not because instantly we were able to related on our shared experiences. More important then relating our shared experiences though was what we were both currently doing. We both were continuing to live the real mission of CY, which is to produce young idealist who never stop wanting to make the world a better place.  



No comments:

Post a Comment