Sunday, March 25, 2012

Non-Technical CEOs in an IT-Startup

I've been interested in pursuing an IT start-up venture in the last couple of years. However, one thing has always held me back: the lack of technical (i.e. programming) skills. Many of the successful IT companies, including Amazon, Facebook, Twitter, and Dropbox, were started by technical-minded individuals. This raises the question: where do non-technical entrepreneurs fit in this growing IT space?

As a Health Care Policy and Management student, I have very limited programming skills. Instead, my strengths are in communications, building relationships, and team management. But are those desirable or critical qualities for a CEO in an IT start-up? One can have great ideas and motivation, but without a solid prototype or tangible product, you might as well call it quits. 

Non-technical entrepreneurs who want to pursue an IT start up must find a suitable technical partner. No ifs or buts. You, as the non-technical entrepreneur, may have the contextual knowledge and amazing ideas, but you still need someone who understands the technology. Let's say I want to start a health IT company. How do I, a policy and management student, leverage my education to lead a group of savvy programmers? What are some of the things I can do to prevent the programmers from standing up and saying "Why do I need you when I am the one developing the money-making product?"

This blog has some good insights: Startup Guide for Non-Coders

No comments:

Post a Comment