Sunday, February 26, 2012

Using social media

Blogging is something that is far outside my comfort level.  As I thought about what to include for last week I kept thinking I have nothing to say.  Rather, I had nothing to say that I wanted to be read publicly.  I think about blogs as journals; only to be read after I die or am offered an obscene amount of money for my memoirs.     So, forcing myself to overcome this discomfort and general aversion to living life out loud...

The article "The One Thing You Must Get Right When Building a Brand" suggests using social media for insight.   This makes sense to me particularly because I don't use it now for the same purposes as many other people do.  I check my social media accounts only to see what people are discussing rather than post any updates.  The insight of what people's needs are, particularly related to how technology is used for general education, can potentially be good conversation starters in building a market, positioning, and, in continually revising the pitch.

The complement of that however is to use social media to make the case and continue the conversation about why I think my idea is a good idea that can help bridge a divide.  Using it but not overusing it to the exclusion of other marketing tools and likewise not ignoring social media in the effort to establish a market may be a delicate dance. Much like my own comfort level dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment