Sunday, March 22, 2015

Tessa: A reflective spring break blog cinco

I want to take some time to reflect on my stakeholder presentation. I set two goals for myself in regard to this presentation:
1    1. Better convey why I care about Race Place/paint a better picture of my motivations (because I totally failed to do this in my pitch)
2    2.  Explain who Race Place will benefit

On the whole I feel good about how it went. I think I did a much better job of conveying my passion for the topic than I did in my elevator pitch. Although, attempting to condense 12 years of public school experience and observations into a 10-minute presentation might not have been the way to go. I struggled with how to convey my passion for race relations for a few reasons.
One, race is not an easy thing to talk about. It’s difficult to talk about with yourself let alone a classroom of smart and diverse individuals.
Two, I feel like I need a certain level of competency in order to have any right to stand in front of an audience and talk about race. But what is that level? What defines competency in this instance?
Three, does it matter how I arrived at my feelings/thoughts about race or just that I have feelings/thoughts?

Which leads me to the next thought I had while kickin’ it at my grandpa’s house over spring break… I am struggling with being “paradoxically dispassionate” about Race Place.  I’m all for flexibility. I’m no expert in this arena. I want to talk to a lot of people about their thoughts on this venture, how they would approach it, what they would want outcomes to be, etc. Whoever leads/facilitates Race Place (maybe me) will be a student as much as the participants will be. However, I am so wrapped up and focused on this topic that I have clear goals and outcomes in my head but am incapable of articulating them. I keep getting caught up in why I care so much and feeling that I need to justify it when at the end of the day this isn’t about me…

This was very self-involved post. Thanks for sticking with it.


Concluding question: Have you thought about being “paradoxically dispassionate”? Are you struggling with it?

No comments:

Post a Comment