Monday, March 30, 2015

Tessa: Business blueprint babbles blog siete

I have spent a fair amount of time developing Race Place’s vision and reason for exisitence. I have turned my thinking to more concrete matters, now.
  • ·      What is Race Place going to look like?
  • ·      What is a rough development outline?
  • ·      What are some tangible outcomes?
  • ·      What metrics of success can I use?
  • ·      What has to be done to start a pilot Race Place program?
  • ·      Who is going to do it?


My thoughts have hinged on the last question. Who is going to do it? What am I going to be looking for when hiring someone? Can I run this program alone? Is outsourcing an option? What will the Race Place team look like?

I found this article rather helpful, as it is very concise: http://startupcollective.com/three-key-hiring-lessons-growing-startups/
The article identifies three main things to consider when hiring talent:

  1. 1.     Clearly define your goals
  2. a.     Race Place has a very specific objective. It will be especially crucial for potential employees to “buy in” to its goals. This social venture will not succeed if the people working for it don’t believe in it with every fiber of their being.
  3. 2.     Make sure diversity is a priority
  4. a.     I think this point is really important for Race Place. Our workforce has to be diverse. Groupthink would be dangerous for a venture like this. In order for the program to evolve people from all backgrounds must have a seat at the table and feel comfortable to share their views. Diversity will certainly be a priority when hiring.
  5. 3.     Know where to look
  6. a.     I’m not sure where to even start with this one… This point just reminds how crucial networks are.


So, as we know I’m a huge fan of TED talks. They’re perfect for productive procrastination… I watched Simon Sinek’s How Great Leaders Inspire Action again and got some new insights from it. Highly recommended!

Its number three on this list (the other talks here are great too, if you are interested in education Sir Ken Robinson might the coolest person you ever watch…):


Concluding question: When interviewing candidates how will you present your ventures vision?

No comments:

Post a Comment