Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Blog 2



What do I do? I already decided that what I want to do is participatory design, but I have to find a niche. Because the point of design thinking is to find an opportunity space, I cannot differentiate myself on tackling a singular and unique issue. Also, because I am offering a service that aims find opportunities, there is not an easy fit into the positioning templates offered. I guess it is better to find the answers to the following questions: why did I start the company, why should customers patronize the company, and why should good people work for the company. Perhaps from here I can gain some insight into what the niche is.

Why did I start the company? I hope to offer an opportunity to disadvantaged communities, guiding them as they make their own decisions on how best to solve issues that they care about. The company will promote design thinking as a tool that will give residents a voice in how their neighborhood will move into the future.

Why should customers patronize the company? It is entirely up to the residents how they choose to move forward, and the first step would be to decide whether they need to pay a design company to help them find out what they might think they already know. For this, I say that we are “eliminating the broom” on a neighborhood scale. At the beginning of my time at Carnegie Mellon, a guest speaker came to tell us how design thinking is used at his company, Proctor and Gamble. He told us a story about how he was researching how customers use their detergent. One customer was asked about the solubility, to which she replied the solubility was great. The speaker asked her to show him, so the customer added the detergent powder to water, took a broom handle and stirred the whole tub until the powder was dissolved. At no point did the instructions say to stir with a broom handle. Since hearing that anecdote, “eliminating the broom” has become my favorite phrase for what I feel is the area where design thinking can add the most value. Sometimes the opportunity is not in overcoming some obvious obstacle, but in realizing idiosyncrasies and inefficiencies that hinder us but to which we have grown so accustomed that we completely ignore.

Why should good people work for my company? I guess this goes back to my friend who got excited to see my list of issues and was eager to discuss them, but quickly realized discussion would not be enough. There are underserved communities in every city, not just the major metropolitan areas that are design hotspots. And there are talented people in each of these cities who can help connect communities to resources and guide their growth. So I guess I’m looking for people who see that “sketchy” neighborhood not as a threat or the next place to get gentrified, but can see a vibrant community ready to flourish.

No comments:

Post a Comment